Anti-spam plugin blocks spam in comments automatically, invisibly for users and for admins.
- no captcha, because spam is not users' problem
- no moderation queues, because spam is not administrators' problem
- no options, because it is great to forget about spam completely
Plugin is easy to use: just install it and it just works.
How does Anti-spam plugin work ?
The blocking algorithm is based on 2 methods: 'invisible js-captcha' and 'invisible input trap'.
The 'invisible input trap' method is based on fact that almost all the bots will fill inputs with name 'email' or 'url'.
How does Anti-spam plugin work in details?
Two extra hidden fields are added to comments form. First field is the question about the current year. Second field should be empty.
If the spammer tries to submit comment form, he will make a mistake with answer on first field or tries to submit an empty field and spam comment will be automatically rejected.
How to test what spam comments are rejected?
You may enable sending all rejected spam comments to admin email.
You should edit "anti-spam.php" file and find "$antispam_send_spam_comment_to_admin" and make it "true".
What is the percentage of spam blocked?
Anti-spam plugin blocks about 99.9% of automatic spam messages (sent by spam-bots via post requests).
But Anti-spam plugin will pass the messages which were submitted by spammers manually via browser. But such messages happens very rarely.
Not enough information about the plugin?
You may check out the source code of the plugin.
The plugin has about 100 lines of code and pretty easy to read. I was trying my best to make plugin's code clean.
Plugin is small but it makes all the dirty work against spam pretty good. You may give it a try.
How to reduce the amount of spam?
Do not order spam-newsletters because people hate spam and people will not like products received from spam. Do not order products from spam. If spam will be less effective than spammers will stop sending it.
What I know now about spam and spam-bots?
- Spam-bots submit all inputs from forms so forms are parsed before being submitted
- If input have 'email' in its name than many spam-bots tries to submit email in it automatically
- All spam-bots does not have Cookies (Cookie array is empty)
- Spam is very complicated now, pretty "smart" and fully automated